Owning your own health practice is a thrilling journey filled with empowerment and exhilaration. But let’s face it, as you delve deeper into the intricacies of business ownership, the initial excitement can be accompanied by stress. You quickly realize that becoming an expert in every aspect of running a practice is nearly impossible. Marketing and creating a solid brand identity is just one of those daunting challenges. While it’s pretty difficult to become an expert at everything all at once, it is possible to start learning about one thing at a time. One area of your marketing that will make a large impact and set the foundation for all your other marketing is your One-liner.
What Even is a One-Liner?
According to StoryBrand and other experts, it’s a concise, impactful statement that encapsulates the essence of your allied health practice. In general, it starts with the problem that your audience faces and then concludes by telling them why your practice solves their problem and what success will look like. Some people call it an elevator pitch, but whatever you call it, it’s a quick way to tell people what you do. But why should you care about crafting one? Well, for starters, a well-crafted one-liner can work wonders for your marketing efforts. Here are nine reasons why you should care about a one-liner for your practice.
The Power of a Great One-Liner
- Concise Messaging: A one-liner distills your practice’s core message, making it easier for potential clients to grasp what you offer in a matter of seconds. People these days jump quickly from article to article, from website to website, so it’s important to give them the information they need quickly and clearly. This is one of the key elements of StoryBrand by Donald Miller.
- Memorability: Kind of like a catchy song, a one-liner sticks in people’s minds. When your practice is mentioned, a memorable one-liner ensures your message lingers. While your one-liner doesn’t need to rhyme or be sung, it can still be short and sweet and ring true to those who read it.
- Differentiation: In today’s competitive market, standing out is crucial. A unique one-liner can highlight what sets your practice apart – whether it’s your approach, philosophy, or specialization.
- Communication Efficiency: Has anyone ever asked you what you do and you fumble around with words for longer than you should, only to see that you’ve confused not only the person who asked the question, but yourself too? Networking, introducing yourself, or creating marketing materials – a one-liner is your time-saving, effort-sparing secret weapon for telling others what you do with power.
- Online Presence: Your one-liner can serve as your practice’s tagline or social media bio, giving website visitors and social media followers a quick introduction to your services.
- Consistency: Consistently using your one-liner across marketing materials and communications reinforce your brand identity, creating a cohesive and professional image.
- SEO Benefits: Including relevant keywords in your one-liner can contribute to better search engine optimization (SEO) for your online content.
- Engagement: A compelling one-liner piques curiosity and encourages potential clients to explore further, serving as a conversation starter in various settings.
- Storytelling: It’s no secret that storytelling is an extremely powerful way to convey ideas and emotions. It’s been around since the beginning of time and that’s no coincidence. When something is as effective and enjoyable as storytelling, it tends to make waves and stick around. A one-liner encapsulates your practice’s story or mission allowing you to share deep and memorable stories that really stick with your clients. Not only this, but it makes it easier on you to share complex concepts and ideas and connect with your clients. In his course Business Made Simple, Donald Miller gives some fantastic advice on this topic.
Creating the Perfect One-Liner for Your Practice
Now that you have a better idea of what it is and why it is important, let’s dive into how to create one for your practice. Crafting an effective one-liner for your practice’s marketing takes time and consideration. It should align with your brand identity, resonate with your target audience, and accurately represent your practice. Be ready to test different versions and to adapt it as your practice evolves.
In short, a one-liner is one to two sentences that follow this format:
- What is the problem?
- What is the solution? (Hint: It’s your service/product!)
- What will the result be?
For example, if you are a pediatric speech-language pathologist, this could be a one-liner for your practice: When your child struggles to speak clearly, it can be frustrating and confusing for both parent and child. Here at Speaking With Ease, we make it fun and easy for your child to learn to speak clearly and gain the confidence they need to thrive!
Here are the steps you need to follow to create the perfect one-liner for your practice:
- Start out by listing out or explaining the problems that your clients are facing.
- Then talk about all the solutions to this problem (specifically the ways that your practice solves the problem).
- Clearly explain how your client will feel after you solve their problem. Ensure that the end result can be tied back to the problem and that it is something you can actually provide. You may not be able to cure anxiety, but you definitely provide strategies that will improve their life.
- Put it all together, shorten it, perfect it, and memorize it. Your team will be strengthened as you all memorize your one-liner together.
7 Things to Think About When Crafting Your One-Liner
- Understanding Your Audience: Dive deep into understanding your target audience. Explore their needs, challenges, and desires with genuine curiosity. What keeps them up at night? What are their aspirations and goals? The better you understand them, the more effectively you can tailor your one-liner to resonate with their hearts and minds.
- Showcasing Your Unique Message: Your practice is one of a kind, so let that uniqueness shine. Identify what truly sets your practice apart from the competition, and don’t be modest about it. Is it your innovative approach, your specialized expertise, or your unmatched commitment to client care? Your one-liner should proudly showcase this distinctive aspect of your practice to capture your audience’s attention.
- Clarity and Simplicity: Simplicity is often underrated. Keep it crystal clear, concise, and devoid of jargon. When it’s easy to understand, your one-liner becomes what it was meant to be.
- Stirring Emotional Appeal: Beyond mere words, your one-liner should tap into the emotions and aspirations of your audience. It should evoke feelings, inspire action, and create a sense of connection. By doing so, it becomes more than just a statement; it becomes an invitation to be a part of something meaningful.
- The Power of Being Solution-Oriented: Potential clients are seeking solutions to their challenges. Your one-liner should be the beacon of hope, highlighting how your services can transform their lives. It’s not just about what you do; it’s about the positive impact your practice can have on their well-being.
- Aligning with Your Branding Identity: Your one-liner should be in perfect harmony with your practice’s overall brand identity. It’s not just a standalone message but an integral part of your branding strategy. It should echo the values, ethos, and personality of your practice.
- Versatility Across Marketing Channels: It should seamlessly adapt to various marketing channels – from your website and social media profiles to business cards and verbal introductions. This makes it easier for you to simply copy and paste and keep consistency throughout your channels.
You’ve Got This!
Remember, your one-liner can evolve as your practice grows and changes. It’s a dynamic element of your marketing strategy, so revisit and update it periodically to ensure it remains effective and aligned with your practice’s goals. Crafting a compelling one-liner is a critical step in building a strong brand identity for your allied health practice. While there’s no magic formula, a well-thought-out one-liner can work wonders in making your practice memorable, unique, and appealing to your target audience. Check out our other blogs as well as the StoryBrand website for more in-depth explanations of specific aspects of your brand. You can do this!